Top 5 Warning Signs: How To Know if Your Shingle Roof Needs to be Replaced or Repaired
Wondering if your shingle roof needs servicing? Check for any of these five warning signs…
1. Curling or Clawing Shingles Curling or clawing shingles are a sign of both an aging roof system and excessive heat. Curled or clawing shingles are highly susceptible to wind uplift and ice damage. Shingles will become rigid and can break easily and lose tab edges.
2. Missing Granules and Bare Spots Poorly placed downspouts, lack of eavestrough, or poorly designed valley drainage on a second storey can cause a waterfall effect that washes away granules over time. Aging of a roof system or physical damage can also cause bare spots and a loss of granules. When the protective granules of a shingle are lost the shingle begins to harden from heat and sun exposure. Granule loss on a roof system will accelerate aging and shingle decay and can become an entry point for water.
3. Broken or Missing Shingles Broken and missing singles greatly weaken a roof system’s ability to shed water and can be an entry point of water. Two common causes of damaged shingles are excessive wind and physical damage.
4. Buckling Shingles Buckling shingles are visible waved distortions that usually run vertically up a roof slope. Buckled shingles are highly susceptible to wind and ice damage and can be torn off easily. Overall roof age and wet or poorly installed underlayment are common causes of buckling shingles.
5. Damaged Flashings Flashings located around skylights, valleys, eaves, rakes, wall details, stacks, and chimneys are all subject to separation, lifting, and dried out caulking. The flashing details can lift and separate due to general expansion and contraction. Expansion and contraction will cause fasteners to become loose and the bottom-flashing flange to lift thus allowing water to enter.
If you notice any of the signs noted above you may need to have your roof repaired or replaced by a certified roofing contractor. A roof leak is not always apparent immediately on the inside of a home; it can damage insulation and deck sheathing causing replacement costs to grow. Call a professional roofing contractor before your problems grow.
Homeowners in Eastern Ontario and the Ottawa region can request a free no-obligation estimate or visit the roofing services page for more information about shingle roof replacement and repairs performed by Godfrey Roofing Inc.